Banu İyisan joined Boğaziçi University in July, 2020 and her multidisciplinary research interests include the design, fabrication and characterization of smart nanocarrier systems to overcome challenges in biomedical research and healthcare applications. Such an effort requires a highly interdisciplinary working platform that utilizes inputs from nanobiotechnology, polymer and colloid science, biomaterials, life sciences and engineering approaches.
She studied Chemical Engineering at Istanbul Technical University (BSc, 2009 and MSc, 2011) where she worked also as a research and teaching assistant until she moved to Germany for her PhD study in 2012. To pursue her PhD, she started working in the group of Prof. Brigitte Voit at Leibniz Institute for Polymer Research in Dresden, Germany. Her PhD work focused on the development of multifunctional and stimuli-responsive polymersomes (biomimetic vesicles) to use as smart and recognitive nanocontainers for biomedical applications including drug delivery systems, biosensing purposes and synthetic biology. She received her PhD degree in Chemistry from Technical University of Dresden (TU Dresden) in 2016. In the meantime, she was also a member of an interdisciplinary research school from Helmholtz Association (IHRS NANONET, Germany) where she received a comprehensive training in technical and professional skills. She then worked as a postdoctoral researcher in the group of Prof. Katharina Landfester at Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research (MPIP) in Mainz, Germany. During her postdoc period (2017-2020), she worked on the development of functional and light responsive nanoparticles / nanocapsules made of polymers, natural lipids using miniemulsion methods for biosensing and targeted drug delivery applications in the scope of an EU Project that aimed to design a nanophotonic system for breast cancer diagnosis.
PhD in Chemistry, Leibniz Institut for Polymer Research - Technical University of Dresden, Germany, 2016
MsC in Chemical Engineering, Istanbul Technical University, Turkey, 2011
BsC in Chemical Engineering, Istanbul Technical University, Turkey, 2009
Assistant Professor at Biomedical Engineering Institute, Boğaziçi University, Turkey, 2020 – present
Postdoctoral Researcher, Max Planck Institute for Polymer Research, Mainz, Germany, 2017 – 2020
Research Associate, Leibniz Institute for Polymer Research, Dresden, Germany, 2012 - 2017
Research and Teaching Assistant, Istanbul Technical University, Turkey, 2010 – 2012
Nanobiomaterials; Polymers; Colloids; Nanobiotechnology; Targeted Drug Delivery Systems; Biosensors; Nanomedicine; Development, Functionalization and Characterization of Smart Nanocarriers; Stimuli-Responsive Design of Nanocapsules, Polymersomes, Nanoparticles; Encapsulation and Controlled Release of Payloads in/from Nanocarriers
1. Iyisan, B.; Thiramanas, R.; Nazarova, N.; Avlasevich, Y.; Mailänder, V.; Balouchev, S.; Landfester, K. Temperature Sensing in cells by Polymeric Upconversion Nanocapsules, Biomacromolecules 2020 (IF : 6.09, selected as the supplementary cover)
2. Iyisan, B.; Landfester, K. Modular Approach for the Design of Smart Polymeric Nanocapsules, Macromol. Rapid Comm. 2019, 40, 1800577 (IF : 4.8)
3. Gumz, H.; Boye, S; Iyisan, B.; Krönert, V.; Formanek, P.; Voit, B.; Lederer, A.; Appelhans, D. Towards functional synthetic cells: In-depth study of nanoparticle and enzyme diffusion through a crosslinked polymersome membrane, Advanced Science 2019, 6, 1801299 (IF: 15.8, featured on the front cover)
4. Iyisan, B.; Landfester, K. Polymeric Nanocarriers In P. Gehr and R. Zellner (Ed.), Biological Responses to Nanoscale Particles, Nanoscience and Technology, Springer Nature Switzerland AG, 2019, pp. 53-84 (ISBN 978-3-030-12461-8, book chapter)
5. Iyisan, B.; Siedel, A. C.; Gumz, H.; Yassin, M.; Kluge, J.; Gaitzsch, J.; Formanek, P.; Moreno, S.; Voit, B.; Appelhans, D. Dynamic Docking and Undocking Processes Addressing Selectively the Outside and Inside of Polymersomes, Macromol. Rapid Comm. 2017, 38, 1700486 (IF: 4.8, featured on the front cover)
6. Iyisan, B.; Kluge, J.; Formanek, P.; Voit, B.; Appelhans, D. Multifunctional and Dual-Responsive Polymersomes as Robust Nanocontainers: Design, Formation by Sequential Post-Conjugations, and pH-Controlled Drug Release. Chemistry of Materials 2016, 28, 1513. (IF: 9.5)
7. Iyisan, B.; Janke, A.; Reichenbach, P.; Eng, L. M.; Appelhans, D.; Voit, B. Immobilized Multifunctional Polymersomes on Solid Surfaces: Infrared Light-Induced Selective Photochemical Reactions, pH Responsive Behavior and Probing Mechanical Properties under Liquid Phase, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces 2016, 8, 15788. (IF: 8.7)
8. Appelhans, D.; Gumz, H.; Liu, X.; Iyisan, B.; Voit, B. Photo-crosslinked Hollow Capsules as Platform for Biomedical Applications, Journal of Controlled Release, 2017, 259, e26. (Symposium issue SIPCD 2016)
9. Özsağıroğlu, E.; Iyisan, B.; Güvenilir, Y. Comparing the in vitro Biodegradation Kinetics of Commercial and Synthesized Polycaprolactone Films in Different Enzyme Solutions, Ekoloji 2013, 86, 90.
10. Özsağıroğlu, E.; Iyisan, B.; Güvenilir, Y. Biodegradation and Characterization Studies of Different Kinds of Polyurethanes with Several Enzyme Solutions, Pol. J. Environ. Stud. 2012, 21, 1772.