The objectives of the Institute of Biomedical Engineering are as follows:
- To provide formal education, training, and research experience in Biomedical Engineering to graduate students of either engineering or physical science background, and also to graduate students with background in life sciences,
- To conduct research jointly with physicians and scientists in order to develop new health care practices and instrumentation,
- To organize and offer seminars, conferences, short courses and training programs for hospital physicians, administrators and technicians,
- To provide consulting services and technological support to hospitals and health care organizations with regard to the selection, purchase evaluation, acceptance and installation, operation and maintenance, of biomedical equipment and systems,
- To provide preventive maintenance and calibration services for the existing medical and clinical equipment,
- To provide information services through the Documentation Center of the Institute, where a large collection of printed material is available. The Documentation Center is a small, size library which carries mainly book and periodicals concerning Biomedical Engineering, as well as product catalogues, user and service manuals for a large number of biomedical equipment.