Mustafa Kemal RUHİ
Mustafa Kemal Ruhi received his PhD from Boğaziçi University. He worked as a visiting scholar at Massachusetts General Hospital and as a postdoctoral research associate at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. His research topics include photodynamic therapy (PDT)-based combination regimens for cancer as well as targeted PDT approaches to enhance the efficacy of chemotherapy.
Ph.D. (Biomedical Engineering), Boğaziçi University
M.S. (Biomedical Engineering), Boğaziçi University
B.S. (Physics Engineering), Hacettepe University
Postdoctoral research associate, Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University, NC, USA (03/2019 – 07/2021)
Visiting Scholar, Massachusetts General Hospital, Wellman Center for Photomedicine, Harvard Medical School, MA, USA (01/2018 – 07/2018).
Research assistant, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Boğaziçi University (10/2015 – 02/2019)
Photodynamic therapy (PDT), Photothermal therapy (PTT), Photoimmunotherapy, Nanoparticles in PDT, Laser biostimulation.
- Mustafa Kemal Ruhi, Brittany P. Rickard, William J. Polacheck, Imran Rizvi, "Integrins in Ovarian Cancer: Survival Pathways, Malignant Ascites and Targeted Photochemistry", in Recent Advances, New Perspectives and Applications in the Treatment of Ovarian Cancer. London, United Kingdom: IntechOpen (2022), DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.106725
- Brittany P. Rickard, Marta Overchuk, Girgis Obaid, Mustafa Kemal Ruhi, Utkan Demirci, Suzanne E. Fenton, Janine H. Santos, David Kessel, Imran Rizvi, Photochemical Targeting of Mitochondria to Overcome Chemoresistance in Ovarian Cancer", Photochemistry and Photobiology, DOI: 10.1111/php.13723 (2022)
- Brittany Patricia Rickard, Christina Conrad, Aaron Sorin, Mustafa Kemal Ruhi, Stephanie Huang, Dana Roque, Franco Walfre, Utkan Demirci, Giuliano Scarcelli, William Polacheck, Imran Rizvi, “Malignant ascites in ovarian cancer: Cellular, acellular, and biophysical determinants of molecular characteristics and therapy response.” Cancers 13(17), 4318 (2021)
- Shubhankar Nath, Michael Pigula, Amjad P. Khan, William Hanna, Mustafa Kemal Ruhi, Farzaneh Mahmoodpoor Dehkordy, Karthik Pushpavanam, Kaushal Rege, Kaitlin Moore, Yujiro Tsujita, Christina Conrad, Fatih Inci, Marcela G. del Carmen, Walfre Franco, Jonathan P. Celli, Utkan Demirci, Tayyaba Hasan, Huang-Chiao Huang, Imran Rizvi, “Flow-induced shear stress confers resistance to carboplatin in an adherent three-dimensional model for ovarian cancer: A role for EGFR-targeted photoimmunotherapy informed by physical stress.” Journal of Clinical Medicine 9 (2020): 924.
- Aaron J. Sorrin**, Mustafa Kemal Ruhi**, Nathaniel A. Ferlic, Vida Karimnia, William J. Polacheck, Jonathan P. Celli, Huang‐Chiao Huang, Imran Rizvi, “Photodynamic therapy and the biophysics of the tumor microenvironment.” Photochemistry and Photobiology 96 (2020): 232–259. **co-first authorship
- Firas Sueki, Mustafa Kemal Ruhi, Murat Gülsoy, “The effect of curcumin on antitumor photodynamic therapy: in vitro experiments with Caco-2 and PC-3 cancer lines.” Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy 27 (2019): 95–99.
- Imran Rizvi, Shubhankar Nath, Girgis Obaid, Mustafa Kemal Ruhi, Kaitlin Moore, Shazia Bano, David Kessel and Tayyaba Hasan, “A combination of visudyne and a lipid-anchored liposomal formulation of benzoporphyrin derivative enhances photodynamic therapy efficacy in a 3D model for ovarian cancer.” Photochemistry and Photobiology 95 (2019): 419–29.
- Mustafa Kemal Ruhi, Ayse Ak, Murat Gülsoy, “Dose-dependent photochemical/photothermal toxicity of indocyanine green-based therapy on three different cancer cell lines.” Photodiagnosis and Photodynamic Therapy 21 (2018): 334–43.
- Mustafa Kemal Ruhi, Ayse Ak, Murat Gülsoy, “AO/PI staining test results of indocyanine green-based photodynamic therapy on PC-3 prostate cancer cells.” Süleyman Demirel University Journal of Natural and Applied Sciences (2017), DOI: 10.19113/sdufbed.78624.
- Merve Yünlü, Mustafa Kemal Ruhi, Günnur Onak, Nermin Topaloğlu Avşar, “Effect of Potassium Iodide Use on Anticancer PDT Applications on PC-3 Prostate Cancer Cels.” TIPTEKNO’19 Medical Technologies Congress (2019) DOI: 10.1109/TIPTEKNO.2019.8895107
- Sahand Ghaffari, Ayse Sena Kabas Sarp, Mustafa Kemal Ruhi, Murat Gülsoy, “A comparative analysis of aPDI effect of phenothiazinium dyes in presence of inorganic salt as potentiator.” Proceedings of SPIE Vol. 10479, Light Based Diagnosis and Treatment of Infectious Diseases, 1047914 (2018); DOI: 10.1117/12.2290699.
- Ipek Düzgoren, Mustafa Kemal Ruhi, Murat Gülsoy, “Effect of different laser power densities on photobiomodulation of L929 cell line.” Proceedings of SPIE-OSA Vol. 10417, 1041702-1 (2017) SPIE Digital Library.
- Mustafa Kemal Ruhi, Ayse Ak, Murat Gülsoy, “Efficiency of photodynamic therapy using indocyanine green and infrared light on MCF-7 breast cancer cells in vitro.” Proceedings of SPIE Vol. 9694, 96940Q (2016) SPIE Digital Library.
BM 599 - Optical Methods for Detection and Treatment of Cancer
The course discusses basic principles, current applications, and the latest research on optical methods for the detection and treatment of cancer. Specifically, reviewed topics will include fluorescence guided tumor resection, photodynamic therapy and photoimmunotherapy.